Δευτέρα 16 Μαΐου 2011

Chromebook: the first real cloud anti-computer with Chrome OS, or actually a non-OS?


As a computer user without much technical knowledge, but a heavy user of the internet, various apps and software programs, both at home and at work, I was really amazed by this crazy new idea from Google.

The way I see things, Chromebook is a anti-computer, because the machine itself is actually only a tool, not the heart, of my digital life.  If it gets stolen or it is out of order, this has no effect on my work, as everything has been and will always be stored in the cloud.
I’m no  longer tied up to any particular machine/gadget/ whatever. With Chrome OS, I can access all the data of my digital presence through the internet and Chrome OS.
This certainly makes my life much easier and guarantees the seamless flow of my productivity, entertainment and, of course, connectivity.

Why do I see Chrome OS as the first real “non-OS”?
Because, all of a sudden, I don’t need to care about an operating system any more. Goodbye security worries, goodbye back-up worries, goodbye update/upgrade worries. Chrome OS just seems to take care of all this automatically.
It also feels this way, too. I press the on button, and in a few seconds, I’m there.
Not in the OS, but in what I really had in mind. The web browser, which will connect me to cyberspace, plus all the useful apps I need to do what I choose to do. Create, communicate, have fun.
This idea of non-OS-ness is what I think is really revolutionary about Chrome OS and Chromebooks.

How did I experience this new revolutionary idea?
Sadly, not through the real thing.
Google made a bad mistake and did not include any non-US citizens in the Cr-48 test notebook survey.
But there are other ways you can have a glimpse of the future of computing:
a) just use the Chrome web browser and try to do anything you would do in your digital life by using only the browser and the apps or add-ons it provides
http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl=el&brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=el&utm_source=el-ha-emea-el-bk&utm_medium=ha
&
https://chrome.google.com/webstore
b) use Flow, a Chrome OS build, developed by the young British hacker hexxeh, alias Liam McLoughlin,
http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Well, for the real real thing, of course, you’ll need to wait for June 15, 2011 and buy Chromebook.



Watch the video
Google I/O 2011: Keynote Day 2
to hear everything straight from the horse’s mouth, the Google developers.



Caveats
1. Vendor lock-in with Google or any other company that provides me a useful app
[Need for open standards]
2. Personal data security
[How safe can you be, if you’re on the internet, or are we getting a little paranoid?]
3. How reliable are storage companies in general, e.g. if I store my pictures/videos on Flickr, how do I know that after 10 years the company will still be around?
[Why bother? There will be another one in no time, see what is happening with delicious now that it was bought by Avos]
4. Am I at a loss if not connected?
[How relevant is this worry, though, in this year and age? Of course you really feel “mentally crippled” without the web.]
5. What about other devices [printers, cameras, cellphones]?
6. Price. Chromebooks are rather costly, especially if you pay 28 dollars per month, unless Google intends to  offer other goodies apart from hardware and an OS.
[Music, ebooks at special prices?]



This article was written using:
Google Chrome 11.0.696.57
Google docs
Ubuntu 10.04   GNU/Linux

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου